Re: Time to throw away my LOVE - Emacs ?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Time to throw away my LOVE - Emacs ?
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:36:01 -0000

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote on Tue, 08 Jun 2004 07:26:45 +0900:
> Galen Boyer <galenboyer@hotpop.com> writes:
>> Of course.  One can start programming immediately with windows based
>> tools.  But, 1-year from that point, the user isn't that much better
>> with the windows-based tool than he was the day he started using it.
>> With Emacs, his skill with the tool has risen dramatically.

> Not to mention that if he's familiar enough with Emacs to be posting
> here, switching wholesale to `windows tools' would probably _lower_ his
> productivity in the short-term.

> The claim that windows tools result in `higher productivity' seem
> pretty specious to me in any case.  What I've seen of windows
> programming environments has been more like a cesspit of mediocrity
> hiding under a pretty face.

Tell me, where is this pretty face (Windows's, not yours ;-)?  Whenever
I've had to use such, I find myself overwhelmed by rows and columns of
menus, toolbars, subtoolbars, labelled mostly with obscure symbols, with
a total complexity exceding that of the pilot's console on a 1960's
passenger airliner.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter