Re: rlogin getting confused by ssh-askpass

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: rlogin getting confused by ssh-askpass
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:36:35 -0000

I must admit I was a bit confused by your message (:-) so I'm not sure
my answer is relevant, but I think general to make ssh work well for a
real login session you should (1) force emacs rlogin to use a PTY (with
the `rlogin-process-connection-type' variable, and (2) force ssh to use
one too (with the `-t' option).

I use the following little function in my .emacs:

   (defun ssh (host &optional buffer-name)
     (interactive (list
                   (read-from-minibuffer "SSH host: " nil nil nil 'ssh-history)
                   current-prefix-arg))
     (unless buffer-name
       (setq buffer-name (concat "*ssh-" host "*")))
     (let ((rlogin-program "ssh")
           (rlogin-process-connection-type t)
           (init (not (comint-check-proc buffer-name))))
       (rlogin (concat "-t " host " bash -i") buffer-name)

       ;; The following uses tramp to make emacs file-name completion in
       ;; the the remote shell buffer be correct -- but it's very slow
       ;; to start up, so it's disabled here:

       ;;(when init
       ;;  (cd (concat "/" (user-login-name) "@" host ":")))
       ))

Note the comment at the end about tramp and the working directory.

I also usually have handy little helper functions for each host I use,
e.g., for fencepost.gnu.org, I have:

   (defun fp ()  (interactive) (ssh "fp.gnu.org" "fp"))

So typing `M-x fp RET' gets me to the fencepost session...

-Miles
--
`Life is a boundless sea of bitterness'