Re: using special-display-regexps

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: using special-display-regexps
Date: 18 Jun 2004 08:48:24 +0200

Michael Slass <miknrene@drizzle.com> writes:

> >I'm trying to teach emacs to treat some buffers in a special way using
> >this code that is supposed to work:
> >
> >(setq special-display-regexps
> >      '(("jabber-chat"
> >      ((top . 10) (height . 5) (left . 200)))))
> >
> >In the documentation string thew following can be seen:
> >
> >  *List of regexps saying which buffers should have their own special
> >  frames.  If a buffer name matches one of these regexps, it gets its
> >  own frame.  Displaying a buffer whose name is in this list makes a
> >  special frame for it using `special-display-function'.
> >
> >  An element of the list can be a list instead of just a string.
> >  There are two ways to use a list as an element:
> >    (REGEXP FRAME-PARAMETERS...)   (REGEXP FUNCTION OTHER-ARGS...)
> >  In the first case, FRAME-PARAMETERS are used to create the frame.
> >
> >It works only half way, emacs opens up matching buffers in a new
> >frame, but the supplied frame parameters is not applied.
> >
> >What am I doing wrong?
> >
> >I have loaded emacs using --no-init-file and --no-site-file but to no
> >avail.
> >
> >/Mathias
>

> The frame parameters should each be elements at the same level as
> "jabber-chat", rather than in their own enclosing list, as you've got it.
> Also, it's better to use (add-to-list ...) rather than setq in this
> context, because setq will clobber anything that's already there.
>
> Put those together, and I think you get something like this:
>
> (add-to-list 'special-display-regexps
>       '("jabber-chat" (top . 10) (height . 5) (left . 200)))

Aaaaaah! Yes, that did the trick! Is this just a problem with me
or could the documentation be more clear on this subject? I have
fiddles with frame parameters from time to time and then I had
always needed to enclose them in their own list. This is the
reason I thought I had to do the same now.

Thanks!

/Mathias