Tutorial for Emacs Diary Mode for use as a Journal?

From: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: Tutorial for Emacs Diary Mode for use as a Journal?
Date: 21 Jun 2004 09:31:44 -0700

I'm a fan of Emacs 21.2 (running under Windows) and interested in
keeping a personal journal.  I was wondering if there are others who
use Emacs to compose and read their journals.

I'm aware of calendar mode and the diary facility, but I'm not
comfortable with it.  For instance, when I invoke "C-u i b" to insert
a block diary entry, I can easily create the entry on the current
date.  But then when I invoke "d" on that date to view the diary
entry, I get only the first line of text.  (I have auto-fill-mode
turned on when visiting the diary file.)

I'm sure there are other programs out there for journal writers, but
what could be better than Emacs?  Besides, I like the fact that
~/diary is plain text.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or recommendations you can give me.

For my real email addy, replace rayz with rzeitler.