Re: hide/show in dired

From: Enila Nero
Subject: Re: hide/show in dired
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 23:37:10 GMT

Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@hotmail.com> writes:

> Enila Nero <geortal@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@hotmail.com> writes:

>> > You might find the following links useful:
>> >
>> > *
>> > http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/Dired-and-Find.html#Dired%20and%20Find
>> > *
>> > http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/Dired-Updating.html#Dired%20Updating
>> >
>> > /Mathias
>>
>> Thank you for the useful links.  Certainly there is a lot of related
>> functionality there.  To do exactly what I asked:
>>
>> % m regexp   (to mark all files matching a regular expression)
>>
>> kill-all-unmarked-file-lines  (couldn't find such functionality)
>
> Maybe you could use the toggle command (t) first which would
> mark all unmarked lines, and then use the kill command?
>
> /Mathias

Yes. Thank you for the help.  I arrived at the following function which
seems to be doing what I wanted.  I am sure it can be made more robust
and be improved upon.  To redisplay the directory and one simply has
to do "g".

(defun en-dired-limit-regexp (regexp)
  "Limit dired display to files matching a regular expression"
  (interactive
   (list (dired-read-regexp "Regexp: ")))
  (progn
    (dired-mark-files-regexp regexp)