Re: font-locking mysteries

From: Christian Gudrian
Subject: Re: font-locking mysteries
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:39:55 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:

Ugh, what?!?

Well, if I say M-x mail I get an error message saying

`Opening output file: no such file or directory, /home/Gudrian/#*mail*#1660Va0#'

Asterisks are no good in file names that are meant to be stored on file systems by Microsoft... Which makes me wonder whether that would work on *nix systems. Anyway I never got an error message like that on FreeBSD, and given the fact that CVS Emacs doesn't compile on Cygwin at the moment it might just be the combination of Cygwin and Emacs which causes this behaviour. Never bothered me though, since I do not use Emacs for mailing.

You should report that, whatever it is, as a bug.

Let me guess:

M-x report-emacs-bug

which in turn will try to open a mail buffer, right? :)

If you have a gnus session active and mail-user-agent set to
gnus-user-agent, then the buffer file name might be different when
calling mail.

No, I'm sorry. Don't bother. I might dive into that some time later. But it's not worth it at the moment. After all it's just a minor font-locking problem I was originally dealing with.

Is there a function which formats the mail buffer name? Perhaps I can alter it in a way that will make reporting bugs work.

Christian