Re: keybinding not working

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: keybinding not working
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 01:20:20 -0400

In article <cc03v1$9pp$1@solaria.cc.gatech.edu>,
 Charles Harrison Caudill <kungfoo@myrna.cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

> I have a keybinding in my .emacs file to toggle a fold when I'm on one for
> use with folding mode.  When I use folding mode in conjunction with matlab
> mode, something seems to clobber that keybinding.  When I explicitly run
> M-x global-set-key C-M-a folding-toggle-show-hide it *still* doesn't work.
>
> Thanks in advance guys!
>
> From .emacs:
>
> ;; Folding Mode
> (global-set-key "\C-\M-a" 'folding-toggle-show-hide)

Global keybindings can be shadowed by local keybindings.  So I suspect
that matlab-mode has a local keybinding for this sequence, and it takes
precedence.  In fact, I think most language modes bind C-M-a -- it's
commonly used to go to the beginning of the current function or
procedure.  If you want to override this in a particular mode, you'll
need to use a mode hook that removes the local binding.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA