Re: emacs tab settings

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: emacs tab settings
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 14:28:50 +0200

Alpesh Mote <alpesh@in-reality.com> writes:

> I want to set the following indentation setting in my .emacs file could
> you please help me with the same. The vi equivalent of the same is;
>
> :se ts=8
> :se softtabstop=4
> :se shiftwidth=4

As you might imagine, not all of us are vim gurus.  What do the above
settings do?

In Emacs, there are two issues: first, how are tab characters
displayed?  And secondly, how many columns are indented?  In Emacs,
programming languages normally provide syntax-driven indentation.
Each programming language mode has its own way to customize the
indentation.

Kai