cannot get cvs-emacs -- times-out

From: David Combs
Subject: cannot get cvs-emacs -- times-out
Date: 3 Jul 2004 16:56:18 -0400

Here's something from a year or two ago, from this newsgroup:

|  > Anyone got a pre-breakin 21.3.tar.gz stored somewhere available to
|  > all of us?
|
|  You could check out 21.3 from CVS:
|
|  cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login
|  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs -t EMACS_21_3
checkout emacs

Either line, I get a timeout-failure.

(Maybe those addrs are out of date?)

Can anyone provide a cmmd line to grab a new emacs?

(No, I don't understand cvs, nor do I want to,
for the *few* times per year I'd use it!   And
seems complicated, too, via eg O'Reilly book.)

So, can it be "cookbook style" -- a cmd I just
get from you and just paste into the screen
for the shell here?

Thanks!

David

PS: Although I use unix (Solarais 9, sparc) dialed-out to
shell-account (netbsd) (which is where I run cvs from), wife uses
win2k, no old dos-prompt.  (And refuses to allow cygwin
on her computer!)

So, is there a way to use cvs via the web?  If so,
could you describe how.  (Just in case I *never*
get cvs to work!)

D.