Re: How to translate M-kp-multiply to M-* before key is mapped to functi

From: paul
Subject: Re: How to translate M-kp-multiply to M-* before key is mapped to function?
Date: 6 Jul 2004 02:23:31 -0700

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote in message
news:<jwvacyenxga.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>...
> > My problem is, is that kp-multiply is bound to * somewhere down the line,
> > but C-kp-multiply, M-kp-multiply and C-M-kp-multiply are not.  I would
> > like C-kp-multiply to act like C-*, M-multiply to act like M-*, and
> > C-M-kp-multiply to act like C-M-* (without having to rely on information
> > to what functions C-*, M-* and C-M-* are bound).
>
> > How to tell keyboard-translate to do just this?
>
> You need something like
>
>   (define-key function-key-map [M-kp-multiply] [?\M-*])
>   (define-key function-key-map [C-kp-multiply] [?\C-*])
>   (define-key function-key-map [C-M-kp-multiply] [?\C-\M-*])
>
> I don't think there is an easy way to have all combinations mapped in
> a single step.  Sadly.
>

>         Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your reply. I don't mind having to do multiple steps for this.
Unfortunately, the solution you propose is the one I tried too.

It doesn't work.

Although it indeed remaps the key unto the correct key, it does *NOT* call
the function bound to that key. This is due to the order in which this
remapping is done, it happens *after* the effects of global-set-key, as
far as I can tell (at least it does for M-*, pop-tag-mark).

Regards,
Paul