Re: New symptom and code

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: New symptom and code
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 01:16:16 GMT

"Kevin Rodgers" <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote in message
40EAEC5D.8040603@yahoo.com">news:40EAEC5D.8040603@yahoo.com...
> David Vanderschel wrote:
>  > I should have mentioned that I am using the minibuffer primarily so
>  > that I can get a temporary multi-line display.  Otherwise, I could
>  > have used message.  I am not letting the user edit in the minibuffer.
>  > I am just showing him some data.  The single character he types is
>  > treated by my program as a command, which then modifies the display.

> I don't understand.  What's wrong with

> (message "First line\nSecond line\nThird line")

Well, when I try that, what I see in the echo area is

  "First line^JSecond line^JThird line"

which is not acceptable.  Interestingly, what appears
in emacs' *Messages* buffer does have real newlines.

Is there some setting which affects whether or not
newline characters cause the echo area to grow?
message was actually my first choice, but I have not
been able to see how to make the echo area grow.

Regards,
  David V.