Re: find-file strangeness on OS-X

From: Joachim Nilsson
Subject: Re: find-file strangeness on OS-X
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:28:12 +0200

On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 05:29, andrew_certain_gnu@thecertains.com wrote:
> I'm running Andrew Choi's emacs binary for OS-X, and I'm having a problem
> with find-file.  Normally, if you do C-x C-f RET, emacs looks to see if
> the file in the buffer has changed on disk and asks if you want to reload
> it.  Under OS-X, it just loads the directory.  Is this a bug?  Is it
> configurable?  I'd like to get the normal behavior back.

My GNU/Linux build of the current CVS version (21.3.50.4) also
loads the directory.  The latest stable Debian release has Emacs
21.2.1 and it does exactly what you want, and the upcoming new
release (testing) of Debian has Emacs 21.3.1 which also does
exactly what you want, so it could be that the semantics of the
C-x C-f command has changed.

Doing a simple "M-x apropos" on find-file reveals as much.  In
the CVS version the description now says:

"Edit file filename.  Switch to a buffer visiting file filename,
creating one if none already exists.  Interactively, the default if you
just type RET is the current directory, but the visited file name is
available through the minibuffer history: type M-n to pull it into the
minibuffer."

Personally I've never used C-x C-f for the purpose you described.
I use "M-x revert-buffer" or "File->Revert Buffer" in the menu.
Maybe you can bind it to a set of keys that suit you or, use some
kind of hook thing to do revert-buffer on "C-x C-f RET".

 /Jocke

--
Joachim Nilsson :: <joachim AT vmlinux DOT org>
+46(0)21-123348 :: <http://vmlinux.org/joachim/>