Re: Emacs-21.3 is ignoring my X-resources colors setting

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: Emacs-21.3 is ignoring my X-resources colors setting
Date: 11 Jul 2004 08:08:08 -0700

Harry> Does anyone know where there is a handy dandy reference chart
Harry> that shows equivalent meaning of color notations like these in
Harry> plain english?

Harry> nedit*statsLine.background:   #e6e6e6
Harry> nedit*statsLine.foreground:   #000000
Harry> nedit*text.background:  #ffffff
Harry> nedit*text.cursorForeground:  #000000
Harry> nedit*text.foreground:  #000000
Harry> nedit*text.selectBackground:  #4c59a6
Harry> nedit*text.selectForeground:  #ffffff

Do you mean lookup the color name based on the RGB value?
In general this is ill-defined because there are only about 1000 colors
defined in rgb.txt but there are 256^6 possible RGB combinations, assuming
16 bit depth.

What you can do is program a best approximation in some sense, for example,
least-square approximation.  The classic program for that is xcolorsel;
I have recently written a gtk 2.x act-alike called gcolorsel:

http://primate.net/~itz/gcolorsel_1.9.1.orig.tar.gz

(the .orig. is because it is part of a Debian source package, together with
the .dsc and .diff.gz files at the same location)

--
"It's not true or not."  A reality show producer (real quote)