Re: printing from within emacs

From: Lowell Kirsh
Subject: Re: printing from within emacs
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 19:06:23 -0700

This works great. Thanks :)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
Michael Slass wrote:
 > Lowell Kirsh <lkirsh@cs.ubc.ca> writes:
 >>I'm having trouble printing to a remote printer from within emacs. The
 >>command I normally use from the cmd line is 'ssh host print'. How can
 >>I get emacs to use this command?
 >
 > Check out docs for the variable lpr-command
 > ,----[ C-h v lpr-command RET ]
 > | lpr-command's value is "lpr"
 > |
 > | Documentation:
 > | *Name of program for printing a file.

Although the variable is named with a -command suffix, it's doc string
accurately describes its value as a program name.  That is, it is
invoked via call-process (actually, call-process-region) not via a
shell-command.  So I think what Lowell needs is

(setq lpr-command "ssh"
      lpr-switches '("host" "print")
      lpr-add-switches nil)