Re: auto-insert-alist

From: DrMemory
Subject: Re: auto-insert-alist
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:39:32 GMT

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:54:11 -0600, Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I think it is a bug.  The documentation is very clear:
>
>|   A list specifying text to insert by default into a new file.
>| Elements look like (CONDITION . ACTION) or ((CONDITION . DESCRIPTION) .
>ACTION).
>| CONDITION maybe a regexp that must match the new file's name, or it may be
>| a symbol that must match the major mode for this element to apply.
>| Only the first matching element is effective.
>| Optional DESCRIPTION is a string for filling `auto-insert-prompt'.
>| ACTION may be a skeleton to insert (see `skeleton-insert'), an absolute
>| file-name or one relative to `auto-insert-directory' or a function to call.
>| ACTION may also be a vector containing several successive single actions as
>| described above, e.g. ["header.insert" date-and-author-update].

I'm sort of an elisp novice, but this seems to be the relevant code
from autoinsert.el:

         ;; Now, if we found something, do it
         (and action
              (if (stringp action)
                  (file-readable-p (concat auto-insert-directory action))
                t)
              (if auto-insert-query
                  (or (if (eq auto-insert-query 'function)
                          (eq this-command 'auto-insert))
                      (y-or-n-p (format auto-insert-prompt desc)))
                t)
              (mapcar
               (lambda (action)
                 (if (stringp action)
                     (if (file-readable-p
                          (setq action (concat auto-insert-directory action)))
                         (insert-file-contents action))
                [...]

Looks to me as if the "absolute filename" option is illusory, and any file
to be inserted would have to be given relative to auto-insert-directory.