Re: starting up with two frames on different monitors in Mac OS X

From: Gilbert Harman
Subject: Re: starting up with two frames on different monitors in Mac OS X
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:58:40 -0400

Dear Mike,

Thanks.  I had to modify your idea, because on my set-up (frame-parameters)
always gives the same results no matter where I drag a frame.  Furthermore I
can't get (make-frame ...) to make a frame in the other display.  But your
suggestion did set me on the right track (or a right track).

 I was able to get things set up by using the right monitor as the main
display, so that frames would appear there by default, but I used trial and
error to get appropriate values for the initial-frame-alist to get the
initial frame on the left monitor.  In my case I used:

(add-to-list
 'initial-frame-alist '(height . 40))
(add-to-list
 'initial-frame-alist '(top . 160))
(add-to-list
 'initial-frame-alist '(left . -1550))

(I tried '(left + -1550) but that didn't work.)  Then I simply added
(make-frame) at the end of my emacs to get the second frame on the right
monitor using the default dimensions (with greater height).

 Gil