file name Completion in Shell (cmd.exe) on Emacs (MS Windows)

From: Sandip Chitale
Subject: file name Completion in Shell (cmd.exe) on Emacs (MS Windows)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:11:19 -0700

Folks,

Is there any way to make the file name completion correctly in a shell in
Windows emacs?

When I start (default) shell i.e. cmd.exe I get:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

c:\emacs\bin>ls e<tab>

At this point if I attempt file name completion by hitting tab I get files
in c:\emacs\bin.

Now I change the drive:

c:\emacs\bin>x:

X:\>ls e<tab>

At this point if I attempt file name completion by hitting tab I *still* get
files in c:\emacs\bin.

Now if I do:

X:\>cd x:\

and then do:

X:\>ls e<tab>

At this point if I attempt file name completion by hitting tab I do get
files from x:\

I have correctly set the shell-chdrive-regexp variable.

M-x shell-chdrive-regexp <RETURN> yields:

shell-chdrive-regexp's value is "[a-zA-Z]:"

Any ideas?