Emacs replace-regexp

From: Thomas Ruschival
Subject: Emacs replace-regexp
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:35:05 +0200

Hi,
I guess I am too stupid to read the regexp syntax of Emacs I can't figure out
how to access parts of the match for replace like in perl or awk with
$1,$2....
I'd like to put brackets around the hyperlinks of a latex-document.
do I did a replace-regexp "(\ref\{.*\})" "\[$1\]"
and it doesn't do the trick. so I played a little while with the syntax and
all I got out were "$1" on each place where once was a hyperlink....hmmm.

Please help me out
Thomas Ruschival