Re: OS X (or other OS's): how to get a fully-qualified domain name?

From: John Owens
Subject: Re: OS X (or other OS's): how to get a fully-qualified domain name?
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:03:03 +0000 (UTC)

Stefan Monnier <monnier <at> iro.umontreal.ca> writes:
> > All I really want it for is generating message-IDs, which need
> > to be globally unique. Right now generating message-IDs uses
> > system-name by default, but system-name doesn't include the domain
> > name and is thus not globally unique.
>
> Than how about setting system-name to something unique?

I think that's what I'm stuck with, and I can readily use the unique hostname
of my laptop when it's plugged into my campus network. The most common
message-IDs I see, however, use the place from where the message was sent,
so I was hoping to do that. No easy answers on doing so, though, so I'll
fall back to using my hostname from work.

Thanks for all the nice replies.

JDO