Forward and inverse search between Emacs and xdvi with multiple files

From: Rodolfo Medina
Subject: Forward and inverse search between Emacs and xdvi with multiple files
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 10:08:17 +0200

Hi, all.

I'm new to this mailng list and don't know exactly if it's suitable for my
subject.
If not, please excuse me and, if you can, indicate me a right place for it.
I already sent this message to comp.text.tex but got no help so far.

Here is my question.
I've been doing large use of forward and inverse search between emacs and
xdvi,
and they've always worked perfectly.
Now I am trying to make them work with a multifile project,
that is a mother file (let's call it masterfile.tex) which '\inputs' other
files,
let's call them file1.tex, file2.tex etc.
The inverse search still works fine;
but when I'm in Emacs in, say, file1.tex,
and try to start the forward search, it doesn't work,
and Emacs produces the message:

File file1.dvi does not exist; you have to run latex first!

although at the end of file1.tex I put the following lines:

%%% Local Variables:
%%% TeX-master: "/home/rodolfo/.../masterfile.tex"
%%% End:

Can anybody help? Is it possible to have a forward search
that gets directly into the masterfile.dvi?
Thanks,
                Rodolfo Medina