Re: getting <C-LEFT>, <C-RIGHT>, etc. to work in GNU Emacs under cygwin

From: Charles_Davis
Subject: Re: getting <C-LEFT>, <C-RIGHT>, etc. to work in GNU Emacs under cygwin
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 08:44:48 -0400

Luc Teirlinck wrote:
> These are not ASCII control characters.  Such keys only work if you
>are directly communicating with a window system.  If you are often in
> situations where this is not the case, then the only solution I know
>of is to only use non-ASCII control characters for window manager
> bindings and other bindings that only make sense when directly
>communicating with a window system.  That is what I personally do.  It
>may be that certain operating systems (like MS Windows) do not make this
>easy.

Sorry for my denseness--my ignorance of system stuff is unbounded.

"Directly communicating with the Window system":  Well, I am sitting at my
PC communicating with the machine to which my keyboard is attached.  I can
run the Windows version of Emacs on this machine without this difficulty.
I can also run the DJGPP version of Emacs in a Command Prompt window
without this difficulty as well.  The problem crops up only when I open a
CYGWIN window with a BASH shell and try to run the CYGWIN version of Emacs
from there.  Is that what you mean by "directly attached?"

Incidentally, the BASH shell seems to understand the control modifier for
these keys, for I can use them for command-line editing.

Thanks for the help
Charles Davis