Re: read-key-sequence(-vector) on Shift left/right gives[left]/[right],

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: read-key-sequence(-vector) on Shift left/right gives[left]/[right], not [S-left]/[S-right]
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 14:54:59 +0200

Charles_Davis@fws.gov writes:

> Kai Grossjohann wrote:
>> When you use a terminal, it sends escape sequences to the application
>> when you hit the cursor keys.  Many terminals send the same escape
>> application (Emacs in this case) cannot distinguish them.
>> These days, terminals can be configured to send different escape
>> sequences for these cases.  Then you need to teach Emacs which escape
>> sequence stands for which keypress, and then you can bind these
>> keypresses normally.
>
> I have tried changing the terminal type from the default "cygwin" by
> doing [...]  for 10-15 different terminal types.  [...]
>
> Can you suggest a terminal type for which these modifiers should work?

I'm sorry, I think I neglected to say one important bit of
information:

No terminal I know of comes preconfigured to support C- and S- for
function keys.

And by "configuring" the terminal I meant to use the built-in
configuration mechanism for the terminal in question so that it
changes its behavior.  For example, for the GNU/Linux console you can
define keymaps and load them with "loadkeys".  (There are predefined
maps "emacs" and "emacs2", perhaps one of them supports more modifiers
on function keys.)  As another example, the X11 program xterm can also
be configured through X resources to send different escape sequences.

But you're using Cygwin.  I think Cygwin normally comes with a version
of rxvt and invokes that for the bash.  I don't know whether rxvt can
be configured in the manner I described.  I also think that the Cygwin
bash can be invoked from within the normal command prompt window, but
I have no idea how to configure that program's keymap.

Sorry about the bad news,
Kai