Re: read-key-sequence(-vector) on Shift left/right gives[left]/[right],

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: read-key-sequence(-vector) on Shift left/right gives[left]/[right], not [S-left]/[S-right]
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:38:19 +0000

Charles_Davis@fws.gov wrote on Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:08:35 -0400:

> I cannot seem to get Emacs to recognize either the control or shift
> modifiers for any of the arrow or 6-pack keys.  Only the meta-key
> modifier seems to be recognized.  Is there some variable I need to set
> to make the use of control and shift modifiers of these keys possible?

What Emacs version are you running (M-x emacs-version)?
What operating system are you running it on?
What windowing system or terminal/console are you running it on?

The solution, if any, to your problem is bound up with the answers to
these three questions.  About six years ago I had this problem with Emacs
20.2 on the console on Linux 2.0.35, but got it solved.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter