Re: read-key-sequence(-vector) on Shift left/right gives[left]/[right],

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: read-key-sequence(-vector) on Shift left/right gives[left]/[right], not [S-left]/[S-right]
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:43:49 -0000

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> wrote:

> I'm sorry, I think I neglected to say one important bit of
> information:

sorry, but your posting is inaccurate.

> No terminal I know of comes preconfigured to support C- and S- for
> function keys.

other than xterm and rxvt.  It's built into both (though using different
escape sequences).

> And by "configuring" the terminal I meant to use the built-in
> configuration mechanism for the terminal in question so that it
> changes its behavior.  For example, for the GNU/Linux console you can
> define keymaps and load them with "loadkeys".  (There are predefined
> maps "emacs" and "emacs2", perhaps one of them supports more modifiers
> on function keys.)  As another example, the X11 program xterm can also
> be configured through X resources to send different escape sequences.

that part's true.

> But you're using Cygwin.  I think Cygwin normally comes with a version
> of rxvt and invokes that for the bash.  I don't know whether rxvt can

and xterm of course.

> be configured in the manner I described.  I also think that the Cygwin
> bash can be invoked from within the normal command prompt window, but
> I have no idea how to configure that program's keymap.

up-to-date terminal descriptions are at

        ftp://invisible-island.net/ncurses/terminfo.src.gz

> Sorry about the bad news,
> Kai

xterm supports ANSI color, VT220 emulation and UTF-8
There's an faq at
        http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html
        ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm/

--