Re: the tab key and autoindenting

From: martin
Subject: Re: the tab key and autoindenting
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:35:11 +0200

"u" == unimatrix01  <news@nepticutl.org> writes:
 u> Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:54:59 -0800
 u>
 u> martin@rochooni.net wrote:
 u>
 >> "u" == unimatrix01  <news@nepticutl.org> writes:
 u> Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 23:47:56 -0800
 u> u> I recently was using emacs to edit some webpages and some
 >> projects I
 u> was working on at my work.  I came back later and I could not utilize
 u> the tab key in any mode and autoindentation did not work when I edited
 u> html or source files.  Is there any key combination or variable that I
 u> possibly changed that could cause emacs to prevent the tab key from
 u> working and the autoindentation to stop all together?  Thank you any
 u> help.
 u> u> what does C-h k TAB say and what do you want the TAB key to
 >> do ?

 u>
 u> C-h k TAB says the following:
 u>
 u> TAB runs the command lisp-indent-line
 u>     which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
 u> `emacs-lisp/lisp-mode'.
 u> (lisp-indent-line &optional WHOLE-EXP)
 u>
 u> Indent current line as Lisp code.
 u> With argument, indent any additional lines of the same expression
 u> rigidly along with this one.

so you probably issued "C-h k TAB" in a buffer which is in lisp-mode.

what if you do it in a buffer containing html-source ?

the meaning of the TAB key changes in general according to the mode of
the type of file you are editing.

you may change the meaning depending on the edit mode by calling
local-set-key from some hook provided by that mode.

martin

 u>
 u>
 u>
 u>
 u>
--
martin dot fischer at boschrexroth dot de