Re: parens matching not matching all matching parens

From: Arjan Bos
Subject: Re: parens matching not matching all matching parens
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 22:19:26 +0200

J. David Boyd wrote:

Arjan Bos <Arjan.Bos@nospam.ISeeYou.nl> writes:

{\rtf1\mac\ansicpg10000\uc1
{\*\pnseclvl4\pnlcltr\pnstart1\pnindent720\pnhang{\pntxta )}}}

This is a complete piece of (non-sensical, but correct) rtf. The first
`{' matches the last `}'. Only C-M-f jumps from the first `{' to the
one-to-last `}'.

I see three opening, and four closing curly braces.  Aren't they
supposed to be even?

They are supposed to be even, yes, and they are. That is the problem. In sequence, there are three opening `{', one closing ')' and three closing '}'. It is very easy for a human to get confused, so I expect(ed) a little help from emacs. ;-)

Arjan

If you really want to contact me, then replace the "I see you" text by its three letter accronym, ICU.

Fabricate Diem PVNC, Motto of the Night Watch -- Terry Pratchett