Re: Cursor movement screwy on remote sessions.

From: Ged Haywood
Subject: Re: Cursor movement screwy on remote sessions.
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:36:53 +0100 (BST)

Hi there,

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 Thomas Dickey wrote:

> Ged Haywood wrote:
>
> > The cursor doesn't reliably move to the place it's supposed to go to
>
> it's probably network delays (the escape sequence is read over too long
> a time interval to allow the application to interpret it as one chunk).

That makes perfect sense.  Thanks Thomas, I'll look into it.

> I don't know what you must tweak in emacs to make this work (it's
> simple with ncurses).

Now you've said it, a few pennies are starting to drop.  It looks as
though most of the time it's the local end that's getting it wrong -
Emacs usually seems to know where the cursor should be, but the xterm
doesn't - but it's not always that way, which could explain the screwy
nature of the problem and why the cause isn't as clear as it might be.

It probably means I'd be better off running Emacs locally on the
remote file rather than running emacs remotely on the same file.
Unfortunately it's often a remote application that's starting Emacs
for me, but I can easily get around that.

Thanks again.

73,
Ged.