problem with emacs shell mode

From: Jay Cotton
Subject: problem with emacs shell mode
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:35:43 -0400

Hello,

I am trying to use a version of emacs for OS X. (version 21.3.5 from Mindlube.com ( http://mindlube.com/products/emacs/index.html ))

Everything was working great, and I started to think I was finally in emacs paradise, and then I opened a shell buffer with M-x shell. The problem I encountered is that the shell seems to hold onto output of the underlying processes without displaying it on the screen. So, for instance, if I run the unix command 'units' at the shell prompt, instead of prompting me for what unit I have (which is what the program is supposed to do), it appears to hang. The only time it will show the output (that I'm aware of) is when the underlying process ends. As a result, programs like 'ls' appear to work because they aren't interactive - they end almost as soon as they are started and their output appears immediately in the buffer. But none of my interactive shell scripts work. :(

Anybody have any idea what I might do to fix this?

Jay