fixing M$ character codes, redux

From: ken
Subject: fixing M$ character codes, redux
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 18:23:23 -0400

Because I often confronted much the same set of goofy M$ (or whatever) characters, I followed the earlier thread about programmatically translating the bad characters into something useful. Unfortunately, like one other poster here, the supplied script didn't work at all for me. I'm guessing that the set of screwy characters I was getting might have been coming from somewhere else, maybe not from Windoze or maybe it's something to do with the input method or charset I'm set up for.

So I created these handful of commands:

(replace-string "\205" "..." nil nil nil) ; might be a dash (-) (??)
(replace-string "\222" "'" nil nil nil)
(replace-string "\223" "``" nil nil nil)
(replace-string "\224" "''" nil nil nil)
(replace-string "\226" "-" nil nil nil)
(replace-string "\227" "-- " nil nil nil)
(replace-string "\240" " " nil nil nil)    ;soft space

They all work just peachy. I run each one separately by doing C-x C-[ C-[ (for me, the same as C-x ESC ESC) which minibuffer prompts me to run (redo) the last command. I delete the default that "redo" provides and paste in each of the above "replace-string ..." commands. I developed and tried it on one file today, and it works great. (Note please that the "characters" which appear in the file edited appear just as they do in the first arguments of the above commands, except that C-f acts like all four characters-- e.g., in "\234" are just one character... in a sense it is.)

What I'd like to do is wrap all the above commands into one defun. I tried using some other code:

(defun kef.de8 ()
 "Turn 8bit characters into 7bit equivalents."
 (interactive)
 (mapcar
  (function (lambda (old_and_new)
   (save-excursion (apply 'query-replace old_and_new))))
    ("\205" "...") ; might be a dash (-) (??)
    ("\222" "'")
    ("\223" "``" )
    ("\240" " ")    ;soft space
)))

But running this didn't work-- the minibuffer told me it made no replacements; however, the above "(replace-string ...)" things did work. I could write a little utility in C and some other languages to do this, but elisp still makes an idiot out of me. Any help?

BTW, if you're using Linux, check out "man 7 iso_8859-1", "man charsets", and 'man -k character |grep "character set"' for more information on this kind of stuff. Also see "man iconv" for a commandline utility for doing character conversions from the shell.

--
See this movie before it's against the law: The Corporation
<http://www.TheCorporation.com/>