Re: data structure in emacs

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: data structure in emacs
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 12:57:32 +0200

Jean Chapelle <jchapell@ulb.ac.be> writes:

> Hi everybody, i am a belgian student. I prepare a study for
> persistance in text. I'm searching for documentation about the data
> structures used in the implementation of emacs ( or other editors ).
> If someone can tell me the where I've to go for this.... Thanks a
> lot

There is Craig Finseth's "The Craft of Text Editing", which discusses
data structure for text somewhere, if I remember correctly:

http://www.finseth.com/craft/index.html

Though the book is Emacs-centric (Emacs für sich) it does not explain
the implementation of the actual Emacs (Emacs an sich).  For reasons I
did not quite understand at the time I read it, Finseth seems to
prefer a line-oriented approach (again: IIRC).  For Emacs, you can
always read the source, of course.

    Oliver
--
18 Vendémiaire an 213 de la Révolution