RE: How to prevent font-lock (& jit-lock etc.) from refontifying?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to prevent font-lock (& jit-lock etc.) from refontifying?
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:27:16 -0700

Sorry, two points of clarification:

1. It looks like it's not jit-lock that's refontifying; and it's not
lazy-lock either. I don't know what is doing this.

2. The function I meant, to prevent rehighlighting behind your back in Emacs
20, is font-lock-after-fontify-buffer, not lazy-lock-after-fontify-buffer
(it calls lazy-lock-after-fontify-buffer or fast-lock-after-fontify-buffer,
as appropriate).

My question remains: how to prevent behind the scene refontifying in Emacs
21?

-----Original Message-----From: Drew Adams
However, font-lock (jit-lock, I believe) works behind the scene to refontify
things the way it thinks they should look. That is, it effectively _removes_
any highlighting I go to the trouble to add.

In Emacs 20, I only had to worry about lazy-lock doing this, and function
lazy-lock-after-fontify-buffer was available to convince lazy-lock not to
undo things behind my back.