RE: Narrowing same buffer to different regions in two windows

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Narrowing same buffer to different regions in two windows
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:56:42 -0700

Another tool to try: `M-x compare-windows':

"Compare text in current window with text in next window.
Compares the text starting at point in each window,
moving over text in each one as far as they match.

This command pushes the mark in each window
at the prior location of point in that window.
If both windows display the same buffer,
the mark is pushed twice in that buffer:
first in the other window, then in the selected window.

A prefix arg means ignore changes in whitespace.
The variable `compare-windows-whitespace' controls how whitespace is
skipped.
If `compare-ignore-case' is non-nil, changes in case are also ignored."

-----Original Message-----From: Roy Smith
I've got a file with two large sections of very similar text that I
want to examine and compare (it's C++, and a previous author did a
"cut, paste, and modify" job instead of refactoring).  What I'd like
to do is split the screen into two windows, and do narrow-to-region in
each window, ending up with each window looking at a distinct section
of the file.

The problem is, narrowing works per-buffer, not per-window.  Is there
anyway to do what I want?