Re: slow response on first buffer edit

From: Conrad Lloyd-Knight
Subject: Re: slow response on first buffer edit
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:04:00 -0400

Answering my own question here, just in case anyone else runs into
this...

> I have also noticed that this hangup occurs before a symbolic link is
> created, by the name of .#filename, pointing to a non-existant file
> called user@host.name.PID:somelongnumber.

Running emacs with a debugger shows that during this hang time it's
accessing /var/log/wtmp. A look through the code for filelock.c
reveals that the somelongnumber is actually the time of the last
reboot (not sure why...), which emacs is trying to pull from the wtmp
file. Only in my case, the machine in question had a wtmp file over
90MB in size, which caused the delay. Flushing wtmp solved the
problem.

-C.