Re: reading binary, non-unix file

From: Mickey Ferguson
Subject: Re: reading binary, non-unix file
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:43:10 -0700

We're almost there.  I don't have a single UTF-16 coding choice.  When I
tried what you provided, I saw:

Possible completions are:
utf-16-be                          utf-16-be-dos
utf-16-be-mac                      utf-16-be-unix
utf-16-le                          utf-16-le-dos
utf-16-le-mac                      utf-16-le-unix

I chose utf-16-le and it seemed to do it properly.  I just don't know if
that was the right choice - I don't fully understand what each of these
provides.

Second, after I determine which one of the above to use, can anyone help me
to write a function so that I can then map a key combination (similar to C-X
C-F uses Find-File), that will load in the proper coding and then find the
file?  I'm lisp-impaired, so any help would be appreciated.  I'm capable of
taking an interactive function that's been defined and mapping it to a
keystroke, but that's about it.

ud5z7xpur.fsf@gmail.com">news:ud5z7xpur.fsf@gmail.com...