Re: indenting

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: indenting
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:35:41 GMT

> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> I do not want tab characters.
>> Your (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil) does that.
>>
>>> I want to be able to hit the tab key after I type int and i1. but the int
>>> indents and follows the tab.  What I end up with is
>>> int i1 = 0;
>>> THis is no more readable than having everything shifted to the left.
>>> How can I stop this behavior?
>> Your (setq c-tab-always-indent nil) should have done that.  Can you
>> describe
>> very pedantically precisely every little itsy bitsy detail of what you do,
>> what you expect, and what happens instead, as if you were talking to
>> a complete and total idiot ?

> I want to type:

> to end with
> int    i            = 0;
> char*  a_pointer    = null;

> but what I get now is:
>                int i = 0;
>      char* a_pointer = null;

I understand this part, but you left out tons of details, like:\
- how do you start Emacs?
- what version of Emacs?
- what buffer do you type this in (file name? how do you open it?)?
- what is the major mode of that buffer (C-h m tells you)?
- what's the value of c-tab-always-indent in that buffer?

When I do:

% emacs-21.2 -q --no-site-file --eval '(setq c-tab-always-indent nil)'
~/tmp/foo.c

I get a line like:

int             i1                              = 0;

which seems pretty close to what you want (except you'll probably want to
hit TAB a bit less often).

I suspect that your (setq c-tab-always-indent nil) is not executed (because
of an error earlier in your .emacs) or it is overruled by something.

        Stefan