NEWBIE: different compile-commands for different fiel types (cc, xml)

From: Johannes Kastl
Subject: NEWBIE: different compile-commands for different fiel types (cc, xml)
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:04:11 +0200

Hello everyone,
Im kind of a newbie to emacs, or more to configuration emacs. I have been using emacs for quite some time, and now I need to setup the compile-command. The background is that I am compiling .cc files, and also .xml files at the moment. And I am proud that I got it working to specify my own complie-command in the settings. But it is only one, for the other filetype I have to change it everytime, which is "kind of uncomfortable". So, is there a way to set the compile-command to "make whatever" for .cc files and to "make anotherthing" for .xml files? Adding local variables in xml files dont work for me, since it doesnt compile afterwards, cos the source code contains "non-xml" text.

Has anybody got an idea how to solve this, or is this just not possible with my emacs?

Thanks in advance,

Johannes

P.S. I am running emacs on a suse 8.2 linux, emacs is GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i586-suse-linux).