aligning numbers

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: aligning numbers
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:38:25 +0200

I just started to use align for the first time. But somehow it does
not (yet) work as desired. I started in text mode with the lines

0    5.35 11.4
25     4.91 10.6
50   4.52 9.8

When I type C-u M-x align (with the active region being the above
three lines) I get (emacs 21.3.1)

0                       5.35    11.4
                        25      4.91    10.6
                        50      4.52    9.8

What happened with the first line? What determines the indentation?

Instead, I would like to get something like

0   5.35  11.4
25  4.91  10.6
50  4.52  9.8

What do I need to align numbers by the decimal point? Has anybody a
smart regexp for that?

Thanks a lot,

Roland