Re: Can't build emacs!

From: Daniel Pittman
Subject: Re: Can't build emacs!
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:00:20 +1000

On 29 Oct 2004, JS wrote:
> "Daniel Pittman" <daniel@rimspace.net> skrev i en meddelelse
>> On 29 Oct 2004, JS wrote:
>>> I have just installed ubuntu Linux and extracted the latest emacs
>>> version: 21.3 on my AMD Barton 2500 XP machine.
>>>
>>> I get the following errormessage when I try to run
>>> "configure":
>>>
>>> johs@ubuntu:~/emacs-21.3 $ ./configure
>>> checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
>>> checking for gcc... no
>>> checking for cc... no
>>> configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH
>>> johs@ubuntu:~/emacs-21.3 $
>>>
>>> What is the solution for this problem?
>>
>> Install a C compiler.  It should be named something intuitive like
>> 'gcc.'
>
> I have never tried Linux before so it would be nice with some more specific
> information if possible.

I would strongly suggest, if you are new to Linux and not very
experienced with Unix in general, that you stick to the packages
supplied by your distribution while you find your way around.

Anyway, the process is pretty simple:  the error you hit was because the
C compiler is not install and, as such, Emacs can't compile the C code.

To correct this you will need to install a few development tools.  Your
distribution will supply some package installation tool; not being an
Ubuntu user I don't know what it is called.

Fire that up, then find the 'GNU C compiler' package.  Typically, this
will be named 'gcc' and will be in the 'development' section.

Once that is installed the compilation will proceed further.

Since Ubuntu is based on Debian, however, and as I understand things
includes all the Debian packages in the 'universe' section, you can
probably just install the 'emacs21' package -- that is what I use, and
is the precompiled binary for the system.

For more detailed help on using the package management tools in your
distribution, try on their user mailing list - people there are sure to
know the tools you require.

Regards,
        Daniel

--
The knowledge imposes a pattern, and falsifies,
For the pattern is new in every moment...