Face precedence

From: Matthew Calhoun
Subject: Face precedence
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:26:45 -0700

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what determines the order in which faces are applied to a block of text. I have highlight face, which is applied to whatever line point is on, defined as white text on a dark background. But in programming modes I also have some syntax-related faces defined with a light background. Strangely, in some of these modes the highlight face's light foreground is applied, but not its dark background. Instead, the syntax face's light background is displayed, resulting in light text on a light background. What I would like to do is make sure that highlight face always takes precedence over whatever other faces are applied to the text.

I'm sure this is possible, but I haven't been able to find or figure out how. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Matt