Re: How to populate a property list?

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: How to populate a property list?
Date: 30 Oct 2004 22:17:56 +0200

Hattuari <susudata@setidava.kushan.aa> writes:

> "[...] In contrast to association lists, the order of the pairs
> in the property list is not significant since the property names
> must be distinct."

this part of the elisp manual discusses plists in the abstract,
idealized sense.  a little further on, where actual plist-munging
funcs are documented, there is some disclaimer about enforcement.

altogether, my understanding is that the elisp manual is not a
standards document, so its use of "must" et al are not rigorous.
when i read it, i expect the documentation describing the behavior
of functions and variables to be accurate; everything else is a
bonus, a hint of what hair and bondage lies outside the pleasant
island that is emacs and elisp programming.

of course, ymmv.  you may wish for industrial strength building
materials instead of coconuts and sand castles.  that's fine, too.
every once in a while some titanic technology grounds itself out
on the emacs shore -- in time, transformed by the incessant yap,
hap, lapping of the [yhl]acker s[eu]rf (itself a {t}id{al,le}
reflection of lunatic ellipsoid centered around "know" and "do"),
it becomes coconuts and sand castles in the playful hands of the
island inhabitants, as well.

thi