Re: Face precedence

From: Matthew Calhoun
Subject: Re: Face precedence
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 08:48:42 -0800

El Nov 6, 2004, a las 11:31 PM, Oliver Scholz escribió:

If I understand you correctly, you have a light background and a dark
foreground for the default face and a dark background and a light
foreground for the highlight face.  You said that in some cases the
dark background of the highlight face does not take effect.

Yes, that's exactly what is happening.

Is that
/everywhere/, where a face other than the default face is in the
buffer?  Or does this apply only for a few faces?  Or only in some
modes?  If the latter: which mode?

I see this when I'm using mmm-mode (Multiple Major Mode Mode) with html-helper and cperl as the two major modes in effect. I use mmm-mode to edit HTML files which have Perl embedded in them; giving the Perl code a yellow background makes it easy to find. But with hl-line enabled, the current line has white text on a yellow background.

I do remember seeing this happen once before, but if I remember correctly, whatever caused it wasn't useful enough to spend time trying to fix it, so I quit using it. I can't remember what it was at the moment.

If the former: you can examine the text properties a point with M-x
list-text-properties-at (assuming you are using a released version of
Emacs 21).  Please post that together with a description of what you
see.

I'm using a version I built from CVS for Mac OS X Carbon a couple of months ago (emacs-version says it's 21.3.50.1). I don't have a list-text-properties-at command, but I do have describe-text-properties. Here is its output when point is in some Perl code in mmm-mode:

        Text content at position 13268:

        There are 2 overlays here:
         From 13267 to 13316
          mmm                  t
          beg-sticky           t
          end-sticky           t
          evaporate            t
          mmm-evap             t
          priority             1
          name                 nil
          display-name         nil
          mmm-mode             cperl-mode
          face                 mmm-declaration-submode-face
          mmm-local-variables  ((font-lock-cache-state nil)
         (font-lock-cache-position #<marker in no buffer>))

         From 13268 to 13281
          window               nil
          face                 highlight

        There are text properties here:
          fontified            t

As described above, what I am seeing here is a block of Perl code with a yellow background, where the text on the current line is white. What I would *like* to see is exactly this, except with a blue background on the current line.

Thanks again,
Matt