Re: PHP syntax highligtning in Emacs

From: Benjamin Rutt
Subject: Re: PHP syntax highligtning in Emacs
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:02:11 -0500

<velle@velle.dk> writes:

> Hi
>
> I`m generally new to the linux world, but trying to convert. I have
> tried a little Java programming with emacs, it has perfect indenting
> etc., when I save as .java. I also want to program php, but emacs wont
> make any indention at all when using tabulator. I`ve tried looking at
> different emacs help pages but they are either really really long or I
> don't quite understand.
>
> I`ve found the php-mode on
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/php-mode/. But it seems to be only
> source and I don't have any idea how to compile.
>
> I use GNU Emacs 21.3.1 on PII with Suse 9.1.
>
> I would apreciate if somebody could tell me the easiest way to get,
> install and setup a proper way of php indenting (and high lightning)
> in Emacs.

Welcome to emacs-land.  I have never used php-mode.  But in general,
to install .el files, you merely place them in your emacs `load-path'.
Here's what I would do (mixture of shell and emacs commands):

1) mkdir ~/elisp
2) cp php-mode.el ~/elisp
3) in emacs, Ctrl-x Ctrl-f ~/.emacs RET     (to open your .emacs file)
4) add the lines to your .emacs:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp")
(require 'php-mode)
(global-font-lock-mode 1)

then restart emacs, and you should have what you need, font hilighting
and all.  You don't need to complile .el files, you can if you want
though (it makes some modes faster but not all).
--
Benjamin Rutt