Re: emacs coding system

From: Edward Casey
Subject: Re: emacs coding system
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 21:44:21 -0600

"Reiner Steib" <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> wrote in message
v9r7myq0ve.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de">news:v9r7myq0ve.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de...
> On Fri, Nov 12 2004, Thomas Beresford wrote:
>
> > Isn't there an alternative way to do that? Editing the .emacs for
example?

> Please don't top-post.
>
> [...]
> >>
> >>   export LANG=foo_BAR.utf-8
> >>
> >>I.e. set your locale.
>
> (set-language-environment "UTF-8") if you use Emacs 21.3 or CVS Emacs.
> Probably you can also use `prefer-coding-system' and friends, see the
> manual for details:
>
> (info "(emacs)Recognize Coding")
> (info "(emacs)Language Environments")
>
> Bye, Reiner.

I.
What's the difference between (set-language-environment "UTF-8") and
putting something like form below in .emacs? :

(custom-set-variables
   '(case-fold-search t)
   '(current-language-environment "UTF-8")
   '(default-input-method "latin-4-postfix"))

II. Related question:

I want to add upper and lower case y with macron to the
\leim\quail\latin-post.el code. I know that the cardo.ttf font has the
glyphs and I think that micross.ttf (Microsoft Sans Serif) has them. The
code points are U+0232 and U+0233 but I don't know how to insert these
characters into the lisp code. Can I specify a hex value in some format
in this context? Do I also need a specific cp_*.nls code page file
registered in MS Windows in order to get this to work?

Thanks,

Ed