Re: elisp: set-register

From: Dan Elliott
Subject: Re: elisp: set-register
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:51:29 -0600

"Kevin Rodgers" <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote in message
2vsd2fF2p4vs9U1@uni-berlin.de">news:2vsd2fF2p4vs9U1@uni-berlin.de...
> Dan Elliott wrote:
>  > I am having difficulty understanding the set-register function.  When
> I try:
>  > (set-register ?p (current-window-configuration))
>  >
>  > in a function run by my .emacs file, it does not appear to work, nor
> does it
>  > appear to cause an error.
>  >
>  > I want to set the current window config to 'p'.
>
> ,----[ C-h k C-x r w ]
> | C-x r w runs the command window-configuration-to-register
> |    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `register'.
> | (window-configuration-to-register REGISTER &optional ARG)
> |
> | Store the window configuration of the selected frame in register
REGISTER.
> | Use C-x r j to restore the configuration.
> | Argument is a character, naming the register.
> `----
>
> --
> Kevin Rodgers

I apologize for being so ignorant, but how does one read the line:
(window-configuration-to-register REGISTER &optional ARG)?

This is quite confusing to me to have both REGISTER and ARG.  Does ARG stand
for an input the method and REGISTER is the name of that input as used in
the function?

Thank you for the help, by the way.

- dan