Re: elisp: set-register

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: elisp: set-register
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:57:08 -0700

Dan Elliott wrote:
> "Kevin Rodgers" <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> 2vsd2fF2p4vs9U1@uni-berlin.de">news:2vsd2fF2p4vs9U1@uni-berlin.de...
>>,----[ C-h k C-x r w ]
>>| C-x r w runs the command window-configuration-to-register
>>|    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `register'.
>>| (window-configuration-to-register REGISTER &optional ARG)
>>|
>>| Store the window configuration of the selected frame in register REGISTER.
>>| Use C-x r j to restore the configuration.
>>| Argument is a character, naming the register.
>>`----
>
> I apologize for being so ignorant, but how does one read the line:
> (window-configuration-to-register REGISTER &optional ARG)?

It means the function takes 1 required argument (REGISTER) and 1
optional argument (ARG).

> This is quite confusing to me to have both REGISTER and ARG. Does ARG stand
> for an input the method and REGISTER is the name of that input as used in
> the function?

Indeed, the doc string does not explain ARG, nor do the Emacs and Emacs
Lisp manuals.  But if you follow the link to the source, you can see
that it is bound to the raw prefix argument when called interactively
and then ignored.

So you probably just want: (window-configuration-to-register ?p)

--
Kevin Rodgers