Re: emacs for everything?

From: Cristian Gutierrez
Subject: Re: emacs for everything?
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:00:31 -0300

Este martes, Alan Mackenzie dijo:

[...]

>> But what you are missing by using a console is the extreme versatility
>> provided by a good window manager under X.
>
> What _you_ are missing on X is the benefit of having Emacs occupying the
> _whole_ screen with an optimal font, without distractions from window
> borders, mice, scroll-bars, menus, task-bars, wine-bars, tool-bars,
> crow-bars, and what ever else glaziers clutter your screen up with.

Try "Full screen maximization" in Window Maker anyday ;-)

Yes, it can be binded to a key, or set as default, even for all apps
(ratpoison-ish setup). And no, it doesn't gives you the anti-aliased
fonts gnome-terminal and konsole can.

Anyways, being a dockapp junkie myself (I *HAVE* to see all that info
(or junk) AT ONCE!), I rarely leave X. Except when puttying-in from
consumer-grade boxes and their consumer-grade OSes which have no ootb X
support.

--
Cristian Gutierrez                      http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~crgutier
crgutier[@]dcc.uchile.cl                        Jabber:crgutier@jabber.org

How many C++ programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
      You're still thinking procedurally. A properly designed light bulb
object would inherit a change method from a generic light bulb class, so
all you'd have to do is send a light bulb change message.