Re: how to set local key in dired to use vm on file

From: V. L. Simpson
Subject: Re: how to set local key in dired to use vm on file
Date: 20 Nov 2004 18:43:44 -0600

    > Could anyone advise me how to use (set-local-key) or
    > something else so that when I am in dired and the cursor is
    > over a file, I get vm-visit-folder to visit that file?

    > I can get as far as:

    > (setq dired-mode-hook '(lambda () (local-set-key "V"
    > 'vm-visit-folder)))

You shouldn't use setq on mode-hooks.  Use add-hook instead.

The dired-ex package has 'dired-bind-vm' for doing exactly what you want.

example

(add-hook 'dired-load-hook
             (lambda ()
                (load "dired-x")
                (setq dired-bind-vm t)))

dired-load-hook is better than dired-mode-hook as it's only run
the first time you use dired.  Trust me, it's what you want. 8-]

Have fun,
vls