Re: reloading mode

From: Daniel Pittman
Subject: Re: reloading mode
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:45:10 +1100

On 23 Nov 2004, Alex Polite wrote:
> I'm altering a mode (transcript.el). Restarting emacs after every edit
> to the mode file is very tedious. What's the right way of doing it?

You can put your cursor at or after the closing bracket in the
expression and hit 'C-M-x' to run `eval-defun' and, as such, execute the
changed code.

Alternately, `M-x eval-buffer' in the mode buffer will run all the code
there, changing the definitions at runtime.

Finally, you can `M-x load-file', then specify which Lisp file to load,
or even `M-x byte-compile-file' to byte-compile it before you load it.

Anyway, if you change a function, or whatever, you can simply execute
that Lisp code at runtime and the change takes immediate effect within
Emacs.

Regards,
        Daniel

--
Advertising is a valuable economic factor because it is the cheapest way of
selling goods, especially if the goods are worthless.