Re: emacs for everything?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: emacs for everything?
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:31:18 +0100

Maciek Pasternacki <maciekp@japhy.fnord.org> writes:

> Also, I don't like screen(1) eating my C-a which I use frequently to
> jump to beginning of line in shell.  After thinking about other
> binding to use, I realised that I use virtually every binding (since
> I learned Emacs I use the same bindings in shell).

I use ` for screen, `` inserts a single ` character.  Works quite well.

> So I integrated shell with FVWM (current beta is at
> http://japhy.fnord.org/pub/ScreenTerm, when it'll get more mature
> I'll put it on my home page) so I can control my screen session as
> multi-terminal by window manager.  Just in case somebody found it
> useful.

Cool.  Gotta look at that.

I started a screen daemon and changed my WM config so that all xterms
attach to the same daemon.  This means that the list of shell sessions
and the number of xterms I've got are decoupled.  Very useful.  I can
just create an xterm on demand to look at a shell session, then close
the xterm and the shell is still there.

Kai