Re: Question on Mule and Makor2, font display vs char input?

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: Question on Mule and Makor2, font display vs char input?
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:08:03 -0600

   Hi,

   Is  there an  easy  way  to define/redefine  how  Mule operates.   For
   example, can a custom Mule Language environment be easily defined?

   There is a LaTeX font environment called makor2 which allows a user to
   create output  using Hebrew  characters.  These output  characters are
   often defined by multi-byte combinations.   So it would be nice to have
   an Emacs  mode which allowed a user  at the keyboard to  type a single
   input  key and have  that keystroke  display the  proper corresponding
   Hebrew  character  on the  screen  while  placing  the proper  set  of
   matching  characters into  the  file  for LaTeX  Makor2.   There is  a
   standard keyboard setup use in Israel  which can be followed and a set
   of Mule Hebrew screen fonts seem to be readily available.

   Is there an easy way to  use the existing Mule Hebrew character set as
   a starting point to create a new Emacs mode definition which will just
   output the needed Makor2 multi-byte character set?

   Thanks

I've got a very similar question, but for math characters as
opposed to hebrew characters.

Any advice on how to make a string already entered into the buffer
render according to the current input method?  For example, a function
I could run that would make the string in quotes "\lambda" appear as a
lambda character in quotes.  Preferably this would be a function that
would run on a string and then use an overlay to change the way the
text looks and "feels" when you're editing (but when you save the
buffer, it would save as latex code, by default).  Another function
would run over the whole buffer, doing the quail translations as it
went.

I think the undocumented function `quail-keyseq-translate' may be
relevant, but I'm not sure how to use it.

Help?